Pages

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

On Your 6 Designs Holsters

A few weeks back I received a few holsters from On Your 6 Designs for the Glock 19 FDE that I picked up recently. In the package was an In Waistband (IWB) holster, an Outside the Waistband (OWB) holster, and a magazine pouch that can worn either IWB or OWB thanks to the J-Hook piece on it.

When I opened up the packaging I was very impressed with the professionalism and time that they took in packaging up the holsters, each one came in it's own separate bag which was labeled and marked with the information about the holster it contained.

 photo null_zps2485441e.jpg

After I had taken the holsters out of their packaging I messed around with them for a little while, checking the quality of work that was put into them. Overall I was extremely satisfied with the craftsmanship that had been put into the holsters.

I will admit that the IWB design was a little different to me since most of the other companies that I have worked with before typically put a lot of definition into the Kydex, where this was more rounded over the firearm but the retention was perfect. One of the other things that I personally prefer when it comes to IWB holsters, is that the sweat guard be low or not there; mainly because for me it is more comfortable than having a high or medium sweat guard jabbing my side or stomach. Having the "reverse" J-Hook is actually very nice since it fits very snug over my Shellback Tactical Cobra belts, which gives a very secure feeling when drawing and holstering.

I have been carrying with this holster for the past few weeks, and other than my preference of a low sweat guard, I have been very comfortable with this holster. As I said before the retention on it is perfect, I don't fight with it to release my gun, and when holstering my firearm slides easily into the IWB holster.

 photo null_zps7a741f26.jpg  photo null_zps98ff7618.jpg

The OWB holster design does not change much from company to company, sure you will see subtle differences in each one like colored rivets or screws, multiple layers of kydex, and even designs that have been pressed into the kydex to give your holster a more "custom" look.

Now what matters the most is the draw, some companies use blue guns and others use the actual firearms to press their kydex. This can lead to the holster "clamping" your firearm, which basically means it takes all of your might to pull your firearm free from the holster. This can usually be fixed with a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun and holstering and drawing your gun until you feel the retention has improved.

This was not an issue with the OWB holster that I received from On Your 6 Designs, the holstering of my Glock offers some resistance which is nice because it lets you know that you are in the right spot, when the firearm is completely holstered you get an audible and tactile "click" when the trigger guard drops into place. This is something that I like since there have been other holsters that once my gun was in I wasn't sure if it was actually being held in place, so having a tactile feedback is just another reassurance that everything is good to go. When drawing from the OWB it is smooth, with just the right amount of resistance, there is no fighting to get your firearm out which is extremely important.


 photo null_zpsbcc21893.jpg  photo null_zps8a4b21a2.jpg

One of the other really nice things about the On Your 6 Designs OWB holster is that the belt loops aren't riveted in place, instead you have the option to move them around; changing the height of the holster and even the cant. This is a nice option, even though I personally won't be changing anything because the way that it comes from the shop works great for me.

 photo null_zpsb326fdcf.jpg

The magazine pouch is a piece that I have spent the least amount of time with so far, partly because I forget to toss a mag in it and carry it with me. I will say that having the ability to wear it as either an IWB or OWB pouch is a great option; the times that I have worn it I have tossed it on as an IWB and it disappears under my shirt and is comfortable enough to wear all day. The retention and tactile feedback when inserting the mag are perfect, again giving me confidence that if I ever needed to pull my mag in an emergency there wouldn't be anytime spent fumbling around trying to get it out.

 photo null_zps657893c0.jpg


Overall I am very impressed with the holsters that On Your 6 Designs are putting out, they are taking the time to make a quality product; and with today's craze in the market that is one of the most important things to do. I can honestly recommend them if you are in the market for a new holster.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I was wondering if you could answer a question I have about the owb holster. I had noticed in the video they did that it appears to be flat, not curved/contoured to the body. They told me that it was contoured, but in the pictures you posted of it it appears to be more of a flat non curved profile. Most of these owb kydex style holsters are contoured to conform to the body for a tight fit. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think holsters should be much more handy when using weapons.
    Thank you so much.
    find more

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Great article! I agree with you, This article gives a lot of information Holsters. Thanks for sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for publishing this informative article. I’m a long time
    reader but I’ve never been compelled to leave a comment. I’ve bookmarked your site and shared this on my Facebook.
    Thanks again for a quality post! Appendix Carry Kydex Holster

    ReplyDelete